<
bf_studio25_lowres.jpg bf_hoarding02_lowres.jpg bf_britmusobject03_lowres.jpg

The Black Friar (2013)

In 1275 the Dominican Friars of London moved their priory from Holborn, to a location between the Thames and Ludgate Hill. In 1538, it was closed during Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries. Much later, in 1875, the Black Friar public house was built there, upon the original site of the 13th century Dominican Friary. The Black Friar proposes a relationship between the speculative language employed by the redevelopment of these areas, and the form of the hypnosis script. Here, a pre-emptive voice suggests a movement between archaeological pasts and futures, located beneath the site of a stopped clock.

“OUR FUTURE IS EVERYONE'S FUTURE. VISION 20:20 AT ONE BLACKFRIARS - PROOF OF OUR FAR SIGHTED APPROACH TO CREATING TOMORROW'S COMMUNITIES” (Advertising at 1 Blackfriars, development site, 2013)

FOOTNOTES

The Black Friar (2013) 5 min 24 sec, 35mm still film transferred to digital, black and white, stereo. It has been presented as part of 'An Endless Volume' screening programme curated by Adam Pugh as part of 'Invisible Fabrick' in May 2014. The screening included works by Clare Gasson, Georgie Grace, Ruth Maclennan, Margaret Salmon, and Corin Sworn, and was shown at Lazar House, an ancient, rarely accessible building founded as Norwich leper hospital outside the city walls. It was first shown as part of the group exhibition 'Every Bird Brings a Different Melody to the Garden', curated by Amy Botfield and Robert Dowling at No Format, London, June - July 2013.

 
⁂‚